Recently I was introduced to Vincent Pugliese, a freelance sports photographer, by a mutual friend. After talking to him for about 5 minutes, I knew I had to interview him to (hopefully) get him to spill all of his secrets.
- Vincent went from being paid $32k/ year as a photographer for a newspaper, to earning $32k in ONE DAY from an online launch
- He and his wife became wedding photographers on the side when they had a baby on the way to earn more money
- Within 3 years, he had paid off all of his debt including his house, which totalled about $140k. He and his wife quit their jobs and now their family lives a life of location independence and pretty much complete freedom
When Vincent was working as a photographer for a newspaper, he won a prestigious award and thought this would finally be the ticket he needed to start earning good money doing the work he loved. He was wrong. He got a 3% raise bumping his wage up to about $15/hr.
He left his boss’s office and looked out at all the miserable faces around the newsroom and at that moment, he knew he needed something else.
At the time, his wife worked at the same paper earning the same amount. They had accumulated $140k in debt and had a baby on the way.
“I realized – I can’t do this anymore. I’ll never be able to raise a family. I’ll be like my coworkers, complaining for the rest of my life. I was done. I didn’t quit, but I told myself it was over.”
Vincent and his wife decided to get into wedding photography – something they’d been resisting for years. They quickly put together a website and started booking gigs through friends and acquaintances.
For the next 3 years, they worked nearly every weekend shooting weddings, earning more in a weekend than they did in a month at the paper. Vincent kept his job, his wife stayed home with their growing family, and on the weekends they worked their side hustle. After 3 years of this, they were completely debt free and Vincent quit the paper.
In this episode, we talk about:
- How Vincent got into photography and what led him to start his side hustle
- How they got clients for their new side hustle
- The momentum they experienced once they started freelancing, and how they kept that going
- The habits that helped them pay off $140k in debt in 3 years while living off of a $32k salary
- The 5 phases of getting to ‘freedom’ and how to know what phase you’re in now
- How Vincent got big names like Pat Flynn and Seth Godin to endorse his book – and his advice on building a powerful network
Connect with Vincent:
Grab Vincent’s Top 10 Tips for getting to freedom right here https://thefreelancehustle.freelancetofreedombook.com/optin17158024
Find his book http://freelancetofreedombook.com/